Square Castan: The square is a vast unidentified semi-circular set, probably from the 2nd or 3rd century. It’s located next to the triumphal arch “Porte Noire”. The Saint-Jean-Baptiste church stood on the site of the square until the French Revolution. The church was destroyed between 1794 and 1797. Archaeologist and librarian Auguste Castan launched excavations in 1870. He discovered 8 Corinthian columns, remains of the water distribution pond which collected the water brought by the Roman aqueduct of Arcier, and the remains of a hemicycle that has an inner diameter of 54 meters.
Interrogating empires, colonialism, and imperialism
About the Cluster
News and Events
People in the Cluster