The Department of History at the University of California, Santa Barbara invites applications for a pool of qualified temporary lecturers to teach a course (or courses) in History for upcoming openings. The number of positions varies from quarter to quarter and may include summer terms, depending on the needs of the department. Courses needed may include:
• Hist 2A, 2B, 2C: World History Surveys
• Hist 4B and 4C: European History Surveys (1050-1715 CE; 1715 to Present)
• Hist 8: Latin America Survey
• Hist 17A,B,C: The American People, (US survey, all Periods)
• Other survey courses listed in the UCSB catalog numbered 8 through 88: https://my.sa.ucsb.edu/catalog/Current/CollegesDepartments/ls-intro/hist.aspx?DeptTab=Courses
•We may also seek replacement instructors for upper-level courses (numbered 100 and above).
Some areas of particular interest include:
Hist 177: California History
•Native American, African-American, US Women’s History in the 20th Century and Mexican History courses
Interested candidates should submit:
• Cover letter that describes research and teaching interests and expertise, and which clearly states which courses they are qualified to teach
• Current CV
• Two sample course syllabi for course you feel qualified to teach
• Arrange for two letters of recommendation
• Teaching evaluations, if available
• Contributions to Diversity Statement (optional)
Please note the dates of our regular academic year quarters and summer sessions A and B terms. See the academic calendars at https://registrar.sa.ucsb.edu/calendars/calendars-deadlines/academic-calendars/academic-calendar-menu.
Interested candidates should apply to the following link: https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/apply/JPF01720
Screening of applicants is ongoing and will continue as needed. The posting will remain open until 10/31/2020 to accommodate department needs. The pool will close on October 31, 2020; if you would like to continue to be considered after that time, and the pooled position is advertised again, you will need to submit a new application.
Please note: The use of a lecturer pool does not guarantee that an open position exists at the time you are applying. See the review date specified in UC Recruit to learn whether the department is currently reviewing applications for an upcoming opening. If there is no future review date specified, your application may not be considered at this time.
The salary is based on UC’s salary scales and depends on qualifications. At a minimum, applicants must have completed all requirements for a PhD (or equivalent) in History or related field except the dissertation at the time of application. A PhD is required by time of appointment for all lower division courses. Candidates with a PhD and 1 year teaching experience are preferred. PhD is preferred but not required for upper division courses. The department is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.