Research and Teaching Interests:
- Modern United States History
- African American History
- African History
National Museum of African American Music
Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture
- One O’clock Jump: The Unforgettable History of the Oklahoma City Blue Devils (Beacon, 2006)
- Lester Leaps In: The Life and Times of Lester “Pres” Young (Beacon, 2002)
- “Los Angeles Zoot: ‘Race Riot,’ the Pachuco, and Black Music Culture,” The Journal of Negro History, Vol. 82 (Spring 1997), pp. 201-220
- “A Conversation with Harry ‘Sweets’ Edison” (50 minute videotape, UCSB Kerr Learning Resources, 1996)
- Charlemagne Péralte and the First American Occupation of Haiti
translation of Charlemagne Péralte: Un Centenaire, 1885-1995 by Georges Michel (Dubuque: Kendall-Hunt, 1996)
- Peoples of Color in the American West (ed. with Sucheng Chan, et. al.) (D. C. Heath and Co., 1993)
- Pioneer Urbanites: A Social and Cultural History of Black San Francisco (Berkeley, University of California Press, 1991) (paperback)
- “Big Top Blues: Jazz-Minstrel Bands and the Young Family Traditions,” in Jazzforschung, Vol. 18 (l986)
- “Blue Lester: The Life and Times of Lester ‘Pres’ Young” (20 minute videotape, UCSB Kerr Learning Resources, 1985)
- “History, Racism, and Jazz: The Case of Lester Young,” in Jazzforschung vol. 16 (December 1984)
- History 169AR: Afro-American History (Colonial)
- History 169BR: Afro-American History (Nineteenth Century)
- History 169CR: Afro-American History (Twentieth Century)
- History 169MR: History of Afro-American Thought
- History 169P: Proseminar in Afro-American History
Honors and Professional Activities:
- Fulbright Fellow, African Regional Research Program (Kenya and Tanzania).
- Fulbright Fellowship for teaching African American History and the History of Jazz and, also, for researching the history of jazz in Japan.
- Consultant, Nicodemus Films, New York.
- Consultant, National Endowment for the Humanities.
- Consultant, California Conservation Consortium.