Course Substitutions:

Please complete the History Department Course Substitution Form if you are attempting to petition a course from outside of your major or minor requirements, or if you took a course through EAP or another US institution and would like it to be applied to your history department major or minor. A detailed course syllabus is required for any class you are planning to petition. If you cannot obtain a syllabus, please email Please allow a few weeks for your course petition to be reviewed.

Approved Substitutions:

Please consult the History Department Approved Upper Division Major Substitutions (1) list for upper division substitution courses from outside the history department that have been pre-approved. Note that this list only applies to the upper division portion of the History BA Major and the History Minor. If you are a History of Public Policy and Law Major, a Labor Studies Minor, or a Poverty, Inequality and Social Justice Minor, you must consult with your advisor before attempting to substitute any of your courses. It is important to keep in mind that you are only allowed 5 units of upper division overlap between your major and your minor or between two minors, and you are only allowed 8 units of upper division overlap between two majors. 

History Independent Studies Petition:

If you would like to enroll in History 99/196/199/199RA, please email the History Undergraduate Advisor to initiate the enrollment process. Once you have worked with your faculty mentor to decide the number of units you will be taking the course for, and have created a detailed course description, the history undergraduate advisor will send you the enrollment form via DocuSign to your UCSB email account. When your proposal has been approved by the department, you will be emailed an approval code through your UCSB email account. Refer to the course descriptions in the UCSB General Catalog prior to completing this form to ensure that you are enrolling in the correct course, and that you meet the prerequisites/restrictions. Please note that only 4 units of History 99 may be applied to the lower division portion of the history major and minor. Only 4 units total of History 196/199/199RA may be applied to the upper division portion of the history minor, and only 8 units may be applied to the upper division portion of the history major. 

History of Public Policy and History of Public Policy and Law Majors:

Once you have completed an upper division course for either your cognate discipline, your contrasting nations/continents/time periods, or your research requirement, the course will NOT automatically appear in your progress checks on GOLD. Please complete this Course Submission Form, and allow 1-2 weeks for these courses to be added to your progress checks. 

College of Letters and Science Petitions:

Non-departmental petitions such as the late/retroactive drop petition, deficit load petition, incomplete grade petition, etc. can be found on the College of Letters and Science Website. 

Thinking of taking a course outside UCSB to fulfill degree requirements? 

Please thoroughly review the Transfer Credit Guidelines for Current UCSB Students before enrolling in any courses outside of UCSB.

Page last modified: July 13, 2020