What is the History Club/Phi Alpha Theta?
We are a group of students at UCSB who love history. If you are interested in anything from the stone age to the present, we want you to join PAT! We are dedicated to 1) being an unparalleled resource for our members, 2) promoting faculty-student interactions outside of the classroom, and 3) making a substantive impact on the wider UCSB community. We host workshops, lectures, and field trips throughout the year exclusively for our members so come check us out!
- National Chapter – One time cost of $50 for life membership, and you must have completed 18 quarter units (roughly 5 courses or 12 semester hours) in history with a minimum GPA of 3.1 in your history courses with an overall GPA of 3.0 or better. Membership is open to all majors. Phi Alpha Theta applications are accepted every Winter quarter. The History Undergraduate Advisor will send information on application deadlines through the History Major Listserv, so be on the lookout for that!
- History Club at UCSB – For those who have yet to fulfill the national Phi Alpha Theta requirements, UCSB offers an informal history club. Members of this organization, while not part of the national PAT organization, are still welcome to participate in the UCSB Gamnma Iota chapter’s activities. The History Club has no minimum GPA requirement, no history class requirement, and membership is not limited to history majors. Yearly dues are only $15. These membership dues are collected to help support our annual activities.
- History Club meetings are on Thursdays at 7 pm in HSSB 4020
History of Phi Alpha Theta
- Phi Alpha Theta is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies and is one of the oldest academic societies in the United States. It was established at the University of Arkansas on March 17, 1921 by Nels Andrew N. Cleven. Since then, Phi Alpha Theta has grown to over 270,000 members nationwide.
- National PAT Mission: to promote the study of history through the encouragement of research, good teaching, publication and exchange of learning and ideas among historians.
- UCSB Gamma Iota Chapter Purpose: to unite historians and those interested in the field of history. The society allows undergraduate students to share historical information, recommendations for courses, and a general passion for history.
Benefits of Phi Alpha Theta
- One-year subscription to The Historian, a distinguished quarterly magazine of articles written by members with interests in all fields of history. It is one of the most widely circulated scholarly historical journals published in the United States.
- For $12, a one-year subscription to the PAT Newsletter, which is published three times a year and reports on current activities and awards of the society.
- Preferred subscription to Historia, the UCSB History Department’s own newsletter!
- A Phi Alpha Theta membership certificate and the honor of displaying your PAT cords and honor sash/stole at graduation.
- A once in a lifetime opportunity to experience history outside of the classroom and expand your UCSB education in ways you never though possible!
For Further Information…
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
President: Nipun Kundu (email@example.com)
Professor Xiaowei Zheng (Faculty Advisor),
Corey Carpenter (Undergraduate Advisor)
Visit the National Phi Alpha Theta Website At:
Page last modified: August 7, 2020