Stay abrest of Center developments through our E-mail list.
- Funding Sources
- Journals and Organizations
- Other Resources
UCSB/UC Funding Sources and Resources
• UCSB Graduate Division
Financial Center- Links to various UCSB and UC-wide funding sources.
• HUMFUND-L- A periodic e-mail list announcing funding opprotunities (run by the Graduate Division).
• IGCC (UC Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation)- Various funding opportunities.
Other Funding Sources and Resources
• The Foundation Center's
SearchZone- Searchable Database of Foundations
• National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)- Various Grants
• Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars- Various Grants
• Fulbright Program- Travel grants for US citizens to study overseas (and vice versa)
• Social Science Research Council- Fellowships and grant programs
• NARA Presidential Libraries- Foundations of several of these libraries offer travel grants
Archives (Physical and Digital)
General (covering more than one nation/region)
• Archives Made Easy- LSE-based project that hosts reviews of archives in various countries.
United States (US)
• National Union
Catalog of Manuscript Collections (NUCMC)-
Searchable database of collections held by archives across the US. An
excellent resource maintained by the Library of Congress.
• National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)- The US federal records agency that administers the following:
» The (US) National Archives- Archives I in DC and Archives II at College Park, Maryland
» Presidential Libraries, including Nixon Presidential Materials
Various regional archival facilities
» Archival Research Catalog (ARC), the online catalog of NARA materials
United Kingdom (UK)
• The National Archives (formerly the Public Record Office)- Located in Kew (outside central London), the former PRO is a major resource not only for scholars of the UK, but also of the US and Commonwealth nations.
» The Catalogue (formerly PROCAT)- Database of National Archives collections
for UK archival collections- Lists various searchable
databases of UK archival collections including the National
Register of Archives and A2A- Access to
• Churchill Archives Centre- The home of Sir Winston Churchill's papers and other records.
• Library and Archives Canada consisting of the former National Archives of Canada (Archives Canada), the central repository for Canadian federal government records, and the former National Library of Canada, whose holdings include an extensive collection of Canadian newspapers. Located in central Ottawa.
» ArchivaNet is the catalog of the archival materials at the National Archive.
» AMICUS catalogs the holdings of the National Library as well as other Canadian libraries.
» The Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online profiles a number of leading Canadians.
• Archives Canada (Canadian Archival Information Network)- This Web site developed by the Canadian Council of Archives includes a searchable database of Canadian archival collections.
Archive of the Federal Republic of Germany
• H-German (H-Net Discussion List) Archive Information page
Diplomatic Archives (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
• H-France (Discussion List) Archive Information page
Digital (Online) Archives
Security Archive (at George Washington University)-
• Access to Archival Databases (AAD), allows search of some of NARAs electronic resource holdings
• Online Archive of California- Primary sources (visual and textual) as well as finding aids.
Journals and Organizations
History - official journal of the Society for Historians of
American Foreign Relations (SHAFR)
• Journal of Cold War Studies (JCWS)- produced by the Harvard Project on Cold War Studies (HPCWS)
• Cold War History- housed at the LSE Cold War Studies Centre
• Cold War International History Project (CWIHP) Bulletin- recently released and translated documents.
Professional Organizations (selected listing)
Institutions, Centers, and other Research Organizations
• Cold War
International History Project (Woodrow Wilson Center)
• Center for Russian and East European Studies (University of Virginia)
• German Historical Institute (Washington, DC)
• LSE (London School of Economics and Political Science) Cold War Studies Centre (CWCW)
• George Washington (University) Cold War Group (GWCW)
Other Resources :
Guides to Doing Research
Contents above last updated 2005/10/06