Officers for Fall 2013
President: Lauren Kaye
Vice President/Secretary: Liz Bushman
Treasurer: Forrest Campbell
Faculty Advisor: Prof. Lisa Jacobson
Officers for Winter & Spring 2014
President: Mari Khasmanyan
Vice President: Daisy Martinez
Secretary: Darren Chen
Treasurer: Forrest Campbell
Upcoming Meetings for Fall 2013
For more information on locations, contact the officers or the faculty advisor.
What on Earth is Phi Alpha Theta?
We are a group of students at UCSB who love history. If you are interested in anything from the stone age to the present, we want you to join PAT! We hold meetings and events throughout the quarter to continue our interest in history outside of the classroom.
New Member Qualifications
- National Chapter -- One time cost of $40 for life membership, and you must have completed 18 quarter units (roughly 5 courses or 12 semester hours) in history with a minimum GPA of 3.1 in your history courses with an overall GPA of 3.0 or better. Membership is open to all majors.
- History Club at UCSB -- For those who have yet to fulfill the national Phi Alpha Theta requirements, UCSB offers an informal history club. Members of this organization, while not part of the national PAT organization, are still welcome to participate in the UCSB Gamnma Iota chapter's activities. The History Club has no minimum GPA requirement, no history class requirement, and membership is not limited to history majors. Yearly dues are only $15. These membership dues are collected to help support our annual activities.
History of Phi Alpha Theta
- Phi Alpha Theta is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies and is one of the oldest academic societies in the United States. It was established at the University of Arkansas on March 17, 1921 by Nels Andrew N. Cleven. Since then, Phi Alpha Theta has grown to over 270,000 members nationwide.
- National PAT Mission: to promote the study of history through the encouragement of research, good teaching, publication and exchange of learning and ideas among historians.
- UCSB Gamma Iota Chapter Purpose: to unite historians and those interested in the field of history. The society allows undergraduate students to share historical information, recommendations for courses, and a general passion for history.
Benefits of Phi Alpha Theta
- One-year subscription to The Historian, a distinguished quarterly magazine of articles written by members with interests in all fields of history. It is one of the most widely circulated scholarly historical journals published in the United States.
- For $12, a one-year subscription to The News Letter, which is published three times a year and reports on current activities and awards of the society.
- Subscription to Historia, the UCSB History Department's own newsletter!
- A Phi Alpha Theta membership certificate and the honor of displaying your PAT cords and honor sash/stole at graduation.
- A once in a lifetime opportunity to experience history outside of the classroom and expand your UCSB education in ways you never though possible!
For Further Information...
Please contact Mari Khasmanyan or one of the faculty advisors, or drop by the History Department Office at HSSB 4001.
Visit the National Phi Alpha Theta Website At:
If you have any questions, email UCSB's Gamma Iota Chapter
of Phi Alpha Theta at:
P-A-T@history.ucsb.edu or drop by the History Department Office at HSSB 4001.