On sabbatical leave (July 1, 2013- July 1, 2014)
Current Graduate Students
The Mexico-U.S. Borderlands, Comparative Immigration, Mexican History, Gender, and Chicana/o History
Ph.D., University of California, Irvine, 2009
Office: 4238 Hours:
Phone: No phone
My current project examines family labor, and Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, American, and European migration to Baja California (1875-1950). I am particularly interested in analyzing the intersections of race, gender, regional, and transnational migration in the Mexico-U.S. borderlands. I am also beginning a second project that examines the historical roots of rural (more...)
Research and Teaching Interests
- Gender History
- Labor History
- Chicana/o History
- Transnational Migration and Family History
- "Historical Roots of Rural Migration: Agrarian Reform and the Displacements of Rural Farmers in Nayarit, Mexico, 1900-1952."
Mexican Studies/ Estudios Mexicanos. University of California Press, 2013.
- “Beyond Red-Light Districts: Agrarian Struggles and Transnational Labor in the Mexico-U.S. Borderlands.” European and American Borderlands: A New
Article in progress
- Transnational Lives and Family Identities in the Mexico-U.S. Borderlands
- The Politics of Gender, Migration, and Land Reform in Northern Mexico, 1870-1930.
- "The Long History of the U.S.-Mexico Borderlands: An Interdisciplinary Aproach to U.S. History."
Article in progress
Undergraduate and Graduate Courses
- History 168 A
History of the Chicanos (cross listed). The history of the Chicanos, 1821 to the present; traces the social-cultural lifeline of the Mexicans who have lived north of Mexico.
- History 200WN
Historical Literature: Women. A reading course in a general area of history, specifically designed to prepare M.A. candidates for their comprehensive examination fields, but also appropriate for Ph.D. students seeking broad preparation.
- History 168B
Proseminar. History of the Chicanos (cross listed).
Honors and Professional Activities
- UC President's Postdocoral Fellowship
Department of History, University of California, San Diego
- Western Historical Association
- Organization of American Historians
- UC Mexus Grant
University of California
- UC President's Faculty Fellowship in the Humanities