Spring 2015 (current)
- History 185B
Modern China (Since 1911) [cross listed with CHIN 185B]
Fall 2015 (tentative)
There are no announcements
Current Graduate Students
Ph.D., UC San Diego, 2009
Office: HSSB 4219 Hours:
Monday Wednesday 6:15-7:00 PM
I am an assistant professor in History and EALCS. My research interests include local history of the Qing dynasty and early republican political culture, with a special focus on the emergence of popular nationalism and the potential of republicanism. I am also attracted to revolutions. I hope to understand people’s motivations and choices in the swirl of a revolution.
Research and Teaching Interests
- Qing History
- Republican and People's Republic of China
- Comparative Revolutions
- The Historiography of Constitutionalism and Democracy
- Critical Theory
- Book Manuscript: The 1911 Revolution and the Making of Modern Chinese Politics
Political Culture, Protest Repertoires, Nationalism, and Constitutionalism in the 1911 Revolution (Under Contract with Stanford University Press).
- Article: Building a Republic without Revolution: Pu Dianjun and His Chenbao, 1917-1924
Constitutionalism was a persistent strand of thought in twentieth-century China. Through examining the endeavors of Pu Dianjun, this paper rediscovers the little-known political and cultural activities of Chinese constitutionalists in Republican China.
- Article: Liberalism: Hōsei University and Chinese Overseas Students
Using fresh sources from Hōsei University, this paper traces the genealogy of liberalism and demonstrates the networks and anxieties of constitutionalists in late Qing China.
- "Jiangou xinde lixian guojia: Xuantong yuannian Sichuan Ziyiju de taolun"
In Zhongguo shixuehui ed., Jinian Xinhai geming yibai zhounian guoji xueshu yantaohui lunwenji (Beijing: Shehui kexue wenxian chubanshe), forthcoming in 2015.
- “Life and Memory of Sent-down Youth in Yunnan”
In James Cook, Joshua Goldstein, Matthew Johnson, and Sigrid Schmalzer, eds., Visualizing Modern China: Image, History, and Memory, 1750-Present (Lanham, Md.: Lexington Books, 2014), 96-119.
- “Configuring a Constitutional State: Officials and Assemblymen at the 1909 Sichuan Provincial Assembly Meeting”
Twentieth-Century China Vol. 38, No. 3 (October 2013): 230-253.
- “The Railway Movement in Chengdu: Sovereignty of the Nation and Rights of the People"
In Ogata Yasushi ed., The 1911 Revolution in Global History (Tokyo: Kyuko Shoin, 2013), 196-222.
- “Die Qinghua-Universität und chinesische Politik zu Zeiten der Kulturrevolution”
In Alfreda Murck ed., Die Goldenen Mangos des Vorsitzenden Mao und die chinesische Kulturrevolution (Zurich: Scheidegger and Spiess, 2013), 16-35.
- “Qinghua University and Chinese Politics during the Cultural Revolution”
In Alfreda Murck ed., Mao’s Golden Mangoes and the Chinese Cultural Revolution (Zurich: Scheidegger and Spiess, 2013), 16-35.
- "Loyalty, Anxiety and Opportunism: Local Elite Activism during the Taiping Rebellion in Zhejiang, 1851-1864"
Late Imperial China Vol. 30, No. 2 (December 2009): 39-83.
- "Passion, Reflection and Survival: Political Choices of Red Guards at Qinghua University, June 1966-July 1968"
In Joseph Esherick, Paul Pickowicz, and Andrew Walder, eds., China’s Cultural Revolution As History (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2006), 29-63.
Undergraduate and Graduate Courses
- EACS 4B East Asian Culture and Civilization (Modern)
- CHIN/HIST 185A The Qing Empire
- CHIN/HIST 185B Republican and People's Republic of China
- CHIN/HIST 185P Proseminar in Modern Chinese History
- CHIN/HIST 185CQ Reading Seminar in Modern Chinese History
- CHIN 185CR/285CR China's Cultural Revolution
- HIST 200AS Historical Literature on Asia: Great Books in East Asian History
- HIST 204 Research Workshop
Honors and Professional Activities
- 2011 Hellman Family Fellowship
- 2011 Faculty Career Development Fellowship
- 2010 Regents Junior Faculty Fellowship
- 2009 Center for East Asian Studies Postdoctoral Fellowship at Stanford University
- 2007 UCSD Humanities Center’s Writing Fellowship
- 2006 Pacific Rim Dissertation Research Fellowship
- 2005 SSRC International Dissertation Field Research Fellowship
- 2002 Yale University Henry Fan Fellowship
- 2000 Peking University Academic Excellence Prize