Winter 2015 (current)
Spring 2015 (tentative)
There are no announcements
Current Graduate Students
Medieval: Women, Social, Religious
Ph.D., Harvard University, 1983
Office: HSSB 4239 Hours:
Phone: (805) 893-2543
Fax: (805) 893-8795
My current academic interests include medieval women and gender, relations between Northern France and the Mediterranean, medieval environmental history, and forms of vulnerability in pre-modern societies.
Research and Teaching Interests
- Medieval women and gender, medieval towns, medieval poor, relations between western Europe and the east
- The Silk Industries of Medieval Paris:
Artisanal Migration, Technological Innovation, and Gendered Experiences in the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Centuries (monograph)
- Approaches to Poverty in Medieval Europe: Complexities, Contradictions, Transformations, c. 1100-1500
edited volume, forthcoming with Brepols
- The Evolution of Poor Relief in Paris, c, 1250-1600
forthcoming in _Experiences of Charity, 1250-1650_, ed. by Anne Scott (Ashgate)
- Vulnerability in the Pre-Modern Era
- Medieval Paris and the Mediterranean: The Evidence from the Silk Industry
French Historical Studies 37/3 (Summer, 2014)
- "Aristocratic Power and the 'Natural' Landscape: The Garden Park at Hesdin, c. 1291-1302"
Speculum: A Journal of Medieval History 88(2013), issue 3, pp. 644-680
- "La Zisa/Gloriette: Cultural Interaction and the Architecture of Repose in Medieval Sicily, France, and Britain
Journal of the British Archaeological Association (2013)
- Surviving Poverty in Medieval Paris: Gender, Ideology and the Daily Lives of the Poor
Cornell University Press, 2002
- Communities of Saint Martin: Legend and Ritual in Medieval Tours
Cornell University Press, 1991
- "Parisian Merchant Women and the Administrative Glass Ceiling in HIgh Medieval Paris"
in _Women and Wealth in Late Medieval Europe_, ed. Theresa Earenfight (Palgrave, 2010)
- "Low Country Ascetics and Oriental Luxury: Jacques de Vitry, Marie of Oignies, and the Treasures of Oignies"
in: _History in the Comic Mode: Medieval Communities and the Matter of Person_, ed. by Rachel Fulton and Bruce Holsinger (2007)
- "The Leper in the Master Bedroom: Thinking Through a Thirteenth-Century Exemplum"
in _Framing the Family: Narrative and Representation in the Medieval and Early Modern Periods_, ed.Wolfthal and Voaden (MRTS, 2005)
Leper in the Master Bedroom.pdf
- Gender and Difference in the Middle Ages
co-edited with Carol Pasternack (Univ. of Minnesota Press, 2003)
- "Young, Male and Disabled,"
in _Le petit peuple dans la société de l’Occident médiéval, terminologies, perceptions, réalités_, ed. by Pierre Boglioni, Robert Delort and Claude Gauvard (Paris: Publications de la Sorbonne, 2001)
Honors and Professional Activities
- EURIAS Fellow - Institut d'études avancées-Paris
- Guggenheim Fellowship
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship
- Membership, Institute for Advanced Studies, Princeton