There are no announcements
Current Graduate Students
20th Century Russia, Central Asia
Ph.D., University of California Berkeley, 1999
HSSB 4212 Spring 2013 Hours:
Not Teaching Spring 2013
Fax: (805) 893-8795
My area of interest is the history of the Soviet Union, especially the history of Central Asia in the Soviet period.
Research and Teaching Interests
- Russian and Soviet history, modern Central Asia, nations and nationalism, women and gender
- "Marriage, Modernity, and the Friendship of Nations: Interethnic Marriage in Soviet Central Asia"
- “Rulers and Victims Reconsidered: Geoffrey Hosking and the Russians of the Soviet Union,”
Kritika: Explorations in Russian and Eurasian History, vol. 13, no. 2 (April 2012).
- “Ethnic Intermarriage, Mixed People, and the ‘Friendship of Peoples’ in Soviet and Post-Soviet Kazakhstan,” (in Russian, with Saule Ualiyeva),
Neprikoznovenny Zapas (Moscow), forthcoming in no. 1/79 (Winter 2012).
- “Post-colonialism, interethnic intimacy, and Central Asia: a comment,”
Ab Imperio no. 2 (2008), pp. 81-83.
- “Marriage, Modernity and the ‘Friendship of Nations:’ Interethnic Intimacy in Postwar Soviet Central Asia in Comparative Perspective,”
Central Asian Survey vol. 26, no. 4 (December 2007), pp. 581-600.
- “Bolshevism, Patriarchy, and the Nation: The Soviet 'Emancipation' of Muslim Women in Pan-Islamic Perspective,"
Slavic Review vol. 65, no. 2 (Summer 2006) pp. 252-272
- “Portrait of Lenin: Carpets and National Culture in Soviet Turkmenistan,”
in Valerie Kivelson and Joan Neuberger, eds., Picturing Russia: Explorations in Visual Culture (Yale, 2008)
- Tribal Nation: The Making of Soviet Turkmenistan
(Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2004).
- "The Fragmented Nation: Genealogy, Identity, and Social Hierarchy in Turkmenistan,"
in Paul Spickard, ed., Race and Nation: Ethnic Systems in the Modern World (NY and London, Routledge, 2005).
- “Emancipation of the Unveiled: Turkmen Women under Soviet Rule, 1924-1929,”
Russian Review, vol. 62, no. 1 (January 2003), pp. 132-149.
- "Genealogy, Class, and 'Tribal Policy' in Soviet Turkmenistan, 1924-1934,"
Slavic Review, vol. 60, no 2 ( Summer 2001), pp. 266-288.
Undergraduate and Graduate Courses
- 135B History of Russia, 1800-1917
- 135C History of the Soviet Union, 1917-1991
- 201E Advanced Historical Literature (Modern Europe)
- 135P Proseminar in Russian History
- 183DR Readings in Central Asian History
- 200E Historical Literature (Modern Europe)
Honors and Professional Activities
- Berkshire Conference Article Prize, 2006