APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 5th
Read Carefully Each Bullet Point in Different Sections
Please submit the following materials in your online graduate application.
- Statement of Purpose - http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/index.aspx#statements
- Personal Achievements/Contributions statement - http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/index.aspx#statements
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV) - http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/#statements
- Three Letters of Recommendation - http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/index.aspx#letters-of-recommendation
- Admissions FAQ - http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/admissions/faq.aspx
- Supplemental Form 1 Preference Sheet (PDF)
- Supplemental Form 2 Information Form (PDF)
- One Writing Sample - Submit a sample that best demonstrates your writing and research abilities. We strongly recommend that students submit a research paper that draws upon primary and secondary sources. Research paper should be 20-25 pages or a chapter or two of a thesis. Submit in the online graduate application - supplemental documents section
- APPLICANT INFORMATION FORM - Fill out and SUBMIT NOW to History Department
- TRANSCRIPTS - MAIL DIRECTLY TO THE HISTORY DEPARTMENT
SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTS – submit in your online graduate application to the supplemental documents section.
SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION FORMS 1 & 2– Fill out, save to desktop and send as email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line: supplemental documents.
Two copies of OFFICIAL transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/admissions/application/#transcripts
History Dept. Apps- HSSB 4001
552 University Rd.
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9410
- APPLICATION FEE PAYMENT – $80 - domestic applicants and $100 for international applicants
- GRE, TOEFL or IELTS Scores – SUBMIT TO GRADUATE DIVISION
GRE Scores - Request that the Educational Testing Service submit your score to UCSB, institution code 4835. A Department code is not necessary. The UCSB History Department does not require the History Subject test. Scores may be no older than five years at the time of application.
IELTS and TOEFL Scores -(International Applicants) submit scores to Graduate Division For international applicants required to take the TOEFL or IELTS, the minimum TOEFL score is 550 when taking the paper based test. The minimum IELTS score for consideration is an Overall Band Score of 7 or higher. TOEFL OR IELTS scores can be no more than two years old at the time of application,.
- Submit Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Available at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov
All new and continuing domestic students are required to file the Free Application .(www.finaid.ucsb.edu/fafsasimplification/index.html)
Applicants to the graduate program in History are expected to show high potential for engaging in advanced historical research and analysis. Applicants must meet general university requirements for admission to graduate standing and should have completed an undergraduate major in History or related fields (approximately 40 upper-division quarter units or approximately 24 upper-division semester units). History is a discipline that benefits from training in other fields, so applicants who do not meet these requirements are still encouraged to apply, but are also strongly urged to contact faculty in their proposed field of study for advice. If admitted, applicants who were not History majors may be required to do some additional course work, which must be completed in the first year and does not count in satisfaction of graduate degree unit or course requirements.
The GRE general test (verbal, quantitative and analytical) is required for graduate admission at UCSB. For admission to the program the department would like to see a verbal score of 85% or above, an analytical writing score of 5.0 or above and a reasonable showing on the quantitative section. Admission is not guaranteed on the basis of meeting these score thresholds, neither do lower scores necessarily disqualify an applicant. Those students who successfully compete for merit-based financial awards usually have higher scores. The Graduate Division of the University requires applicants to have a minimum GPA of 3.0 for the junior and senior years. The average GPA of students admitted to the Graduate History Program is 3.55 for the junior and senior years Those students who successfully compete for merit-based awards usually have higher GPAs.
Please be specific on your statement of purpose. We need to know the fields in which you wish to work. . BEFORE submitting your application, we strongly encourage you to contact one or more faculty members with whom you would like to work. Discuss your research interests with faculty members. Please include the names of faculty who might serve as a mentor in your statement of purpose. No student will be admitted unless the appropriate professor consents to mentor that student through his/her course of study at UCSB.