Hist 33D, L 13: Germans
by Prof. H. Marcuse, UCSB, Nov. 4, 2003
The vast majority of (non-Jewish) Germans were bystanders or perpetrators.
What made the minority choose to resist?
- Preliminary: midterm evals.; drivers, Hist 133Q (&P); 60th anniversary
- field trip discussion
- Context & examples of German resistance
- Please pass forward midterm evaluations
- Sign-up sheets:
- drivers+# passengers for reimbursement
- Hist 133q "Readings on the Holocaust" (W2-5): read 8 of best books on
- Hist 133p Proseminar in spring: do real research (papers published on Oral
History Project website)
- I'll hand journals back on Thu; due next Thu (11/13)
- Visit by a survivor on 11/13; drivers to/from Pomona?
- E-mail list: now 36/44. I'll use for Q4.
Hist 133q books
- Roseman: Past in Hiding
- survivor memoir: Alicia
- Women in Nazi Germany
- Filip Muller: Sonderkommando in Auschwitz
- Eva Fogelman: Rescuers
- Evans: David Irving trial
- Grobman/Shermer: denial (in reader)
- Elinor Langer: 100 Little Hitlers
- (Schlink: The Reader)
60th Anniversary date: "Aktion Erntefest"
- "Aktion Erntefest" (Operation Harvest Festival): Nov. 3 dawn - Nov.
- 10,000 in Trawniki
- 15,000 in Poniatowa
- 18,000 in Maidanek
- consequence of Warsaw, Treblinka, Sobibor uprisings
- bloodiest day of intentional murder in history?
- Babi Yar (near Kiev, Ukraine): Sept. 26-9, 1942: 33,000 in two days
Discussion of Museums
- Museum of Tolerance (1993: Beit Hashoah - Museum of Tolerance) (my
- Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust
Examples of German Resistance
- Left-wing: Communists, Social democrats
- Common people (Resistenz: impedance)
- Bishop van Galen and euthanasia (Aug. 1941)
- Martin Niemöller & Confessing Church; Quotation (link)
[time ran out here, will be continued next time]
- Students: White Rose in Munich: July 1942 - Feb. 1943 (Stalingrad)
- Rosenstrasse, Berlin, Feb. 1943: "Aryan" wives of Jewish men
recent film by Margarete von Trotta
book by Nathan Stolzfus
- July 20, 1944 plot (military-led conspiracy), after June 1944 Normandy landing
prepared for web by H. Marcuse, Nov. 8, 2003, uploaded Nov. 9
back to top, Hist 33d homepage