UCSB Hist 33D, L 9: EIEIO Theory
- Discussion of museums
- EIEIO (a mnemonic of causes)
- Announcements (gas receipts, videos)
- Film clip: "Selling Murder"
- Question: What group processes and structures enabled
people to participate in genocide?
- Culture of obedience to authority
- Professional ethic w/o moral grounding (Prüfer)
- Structure (organization) of Nazi state: chaotic;
competition between Party and state bureaucracy
- What other factors played a role in causing the Holocaust?
- In allowing it to happen?
Interaction: E1 ® I1
- One country limits the int'l oil supply, so others intervene
- Vice-versa: an economic embargo
Interaction: E1 ® E2
- Elites try to maximize their income and power
Textbook chap. 9: Economics
- p. 224 "…determined almost wholly by material considerations and economic
- p. 225 "…wary of international retaliation which might take the form of
- p. 229 "…self-interest came before allegiance to party dogma"
- p. 240 "…many smacked of undisguised self-interest. This was often the case
with industrialists heading firms which (that) employed Jews."
Textbook chap. 9: Elites/Opposition
- p. 228:
- Educated bourgeoisie
- Liberal intelligentsia
- Videos in Kerr Hall tomorrow; web page
- Topics for last week of class
- People who deny that the Holocaust happened
- Groups other than Jews; other generations
- Spelling of Nazi+S:
- plural: two Nazis were caught yesterday
- possessive: that Nazi's gun was loaded
- possessive plural: those Nazis' guns were loaded
Eugenics and Euthanasia
- Eu [good] + gene [breed, kind]:
science of improving the human race
- Eu + thanatos [death drive, opp. of eros]:
painless death; esp. of a person suffering from an incurable and painful disease
(Jack Kevorkian; physician-assisted suicide)
- Nazi: killing the "racially unfit"
- "Life unworthy of life"
- "Selling Murder" by Michael Burleigh
(essay in his Death and Deliverance, 1994)
- Discovery channel, May 1993
- Propaganda films:
- 1935: "What You Inherit,", "Hereditarily Ill"
for Party members and sympathsizers
- 1937 "Victims of the Past" shown in cinemas
- 1939 "Existence without Life," "Mentally Ill"
commissioned by T4 staff after gassings
- 1941 "I Accuse": feature film, 18 mio. Viewers
- Hadamar (n. of Frankfurt); Hanna in TV miniseries