Reading questions for Maus
[note Sept. 7, 2005: this page superceded by
- What animals did Art Spiegelman choose to represent different nationalities?
Do you agree with those choices? What other animals might he have chosen?
Is this comic strip format a good way to tell about the Holocaust?
- How accurate is the information in this story, as far as the "historical
facts" of the Holocaust go?
- Do Art or Vladek offer any explanations for WHY the Holocaust happened?
If so, what are they?
- What do you learn about Auschwitz? How does it compare to Dachau?
- Is Vladek’s story a typical one is this what many or most victims
of the Holocaust experienced?
Is there anything in Vladek’s personality that made it more likely for
him to survive?
- What problems do historians who were not there face in "telling
the story" of the Holocaust?
- What legacies do his parents’ experiences have for Art?
What "lessons" has Vladek learned from his odyssey through