(back to top)
- April 26, 2007: This is a temporary placeholder for
the default homepage. At the moment, the only real content is the 2007
Hist 217B(c) syllabus.
- May 4, 2007: The articles by Rosenfeld and on the
Eisenhower-Kennedy meeting are now available on eres.
The password is pretty. Oh, I see that they didn't use my photocopies,
but just linked to the jstor versions.
- May 7, 2007: For this Thursday (week 6), please read
- Rosenfeld (1994). "The Reception of William L. Shirer's The
Rise and Fall of the Third Reich," in: (pdf).
Make an outline of the project as Rosenfeld might have done in an
early stage of research (like where you are now).
- Greenstein & Immerman (1992). "What Did Eisenhower Tell
Kennedy About Indochina?," in: (pdf)
- If you're interested, have a glance at: Daniel Kerr, "We
Know What the Problem Is": Using Oral History to Develop a
Collaborative Analysis of Homelessness from the Bottom Up,"
in: Oral History Review 30:1(Winter/Spring 2003), Pages
- Oct. 30, 2007: Thesis paper handout (word document)
- Julia's sample article: Peggy G. Hargis, "For the Love of
Place: Paternalism and Patronage in the Georgia Lowcountry, 1865-1898,"
The Journal of Southern History 70:4 (2004), 825-864. (40-page,
8MB pdf; html
- Joe's sample article: Patrick Major, "Rummel um Rommel: The
Desert Fox Myth in the Early Federal Republic," paper presented
at the GSA, San Diego, Oct. 7, 2007 (link removed 3/3/08 )
- Tara's sample article: Robert Gellately, "Denunciations in
20th-Century Germany: Aspects of Self-Policing in the Third Reich
and the German Democratic Republic," Journal of Modern
History 68(Dec. 1996), 931-967. (37-page
- Brian's article (7Mb
- Nov. 13, 2007: This Thursday Abraham will present,
and we will discuss Brian's article. The two readings are available
- Richard Overy, "The Post-War Debate," in: Paul Addison
and Jeremy Crang (eds.), Firestorm: The Bombing of Dresden,
1945 (Chicago: I.R. Dee, 2006), 123-142. (1.5M
- Brenda Melendy, "Expellees on Strike: Competing Victimization
Discourses and the Dachau Refugee Camp Protest Movement, 1948-1949,"
German Studies Review 28:1 (2005), 107-125 (7MB
- Advice on oral presentations: Sam Wineburg, "Keeping
Their Eyes Open... Must It Be This Way? Ten Rules for Keeping Your
Audience Awake During Conferences" (2
page pdf). Educational Researcher, Vol. 33 No. 4 (originally
- Nov. 14, 2007: 2-page
pdf with the notes from the Overy reading.