1940s (back to top)
Concentration & Extermination Camps
- Laurence Rees, Auschwitz: A New History (PublicAffairs, 2005). (amazon)
Resistance & Rescue (Warsaw Ghetto)
- Emmanuel Ringelblum and Jacob Sloan, Notes from the Warsaw Ghetto (IBooks, Inc., 2006). (amazon)
- Israel Gutman, Resistance: The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising (Mariner Books, 1998). (amazon)
- Laurel Holliday, Children in the Holocaust and World War II: Their Secret Diaries (Washington Square Press, 1996). (amazon)
- Deborah Dwork, Children with a Star: Jewish Youth in Nazi Europe (Yale University Press, 1993). (amazon)
US & the Holocaust
- Reinhold Billstein et al., Working For The Enemy: Ford, General Motors, and Forced Labor In Germany During The Second World War (Berghahn Books, 2004). (amazon). Note: this is an anthology, but acceptable.
- Laurel Leff, Buried by the Times: The Holocaust and America's Most Important Newspaper (Cambridge University Press, 2006). (amazon)
- Michael J. Neufeld and Michael Berenbaum, The Bombing of Auschwitz: Should the Allies Have Attempted It? (University Press of Kansas, 2003). (amazon)
note: this is an anthology, thus more difficult, but still acceptable (also as group project-2)
- Henry Ashby Turner, General Motors
and the Nazis: The Struggle for Control of Opel, Europe's Biggest Carmaker
(Yale University Press, 2005). (amazon)
- Edwin Black, IBM and the Holocaust:
The Strategic Alliance Between Nazi Germany and America's Most Powerful Corporation
(Crown, 2001). (amazon).
This was a very controversial book. The author has a website.
World War II
- Keith Low, Inferno. The Devastation of Hamburg 1943, London: Viking
2007, Sehepunkte review