UCSB Hist 133C,
Dissent & the Stasi State
by Prof. Marcuse, Feb. 23, 2004
What brought the wall down? (Theme of next several lectures)
- midterm evaluation results
- Announcements: Thu event; web guide; Q8
- "The Promise" (1994) (last 25 mins) + discussion
- return Q7 & old work
Midterm Evaluation (link) Results (28
- grades: A:4 B:23 C:1
- background in German history: much:3 some:9 little:6 none:9
- do readings: always:3 usually:20 somet:4
- essay effort: hard:11 moderate:16
- get lecture points: easy:22 ok:5
- ppt: like:26 chalk:0 paper:1
- discussion: enough:20 more:8
- Book rankings (scale 1-10):
Copied sources: 7.8
8.7; visits/week: 0x:4 1x:8 2x:3 3x:4 +x:4
- 10questions vs. midterm: better:25 neutral:2 worse:0
- book assignment: interesting:17 neut:5 pain:3
- web project or exam? project:10 neut:9 exam:3
- type of final exam: in-class:5 takehome:15 oral:6
- workload: fine:10 too much reading:2
- Thursday, 5pm, downtown (524 Chapala):
"Life Journeys of Child Holocaust Survivors"
- Friday, 2-4pm, 6020 HSSB
panel discussion "Survivors of Trauma"
- Web option handout available at end of class
timeline: due this Friday AND next Friday;
ask questions Wednesday
- Q8 on Wednesday, on Reader #12 or #13
- my Tue office hours: appt 11-12, 2-3 [not 12-1]
The Promise (1994): last 25 mins, then discussion
- What was bad about East Germany?
- What was good about it?
- Why did Konrad do what he did?
- Why did the Stasi guy behave as he did?
- What did the "caged bird" metaphor mean?
- What brought down the wall?
page by H. Marcuse, prepared for web Feb. 24, 2004
back to top, to UCSB Hist 133c