UCSB Hist 133C Prof. Marcuse
GERMAN HISTORY SINCE 1945 Nov. 17, 1998
Lecture 15: From Reform to Unification
- Administrative / Announcements / Preliminary
- tonight and tomorrow: (Nov. 17 & 18): "Nasty Girl"
in Girvetz 1115, 7:00-8:40pm
true story of Anja Rosmus of Passau ("Filzingen": filzen=examine
- Journal assignment change: not next Tuesday.
Rather: ONLY 2 Entries, due Tue, 1 Dec.
- Discussion of Bornemann: Fear, Guilt and Revenge
- relation behavior during the regime -> response afterwards
- Discussion of Philipsen: Emergence of an Idea
- How did the "movement" start? Issues?
- Relationship Berlin as center vs. regional cities
- Chronological handout from lasttime
- 15 Jan. 1989; GDR version: freedom is the insight into necessity
- Kohl's 28 Nov. 1989 10-point-plan
- 3 Phases of Unification
- political groundwork for (unconditional) annexation (19 March
1990 and 8 May elections)
- economic groundwork for unification (currency union 1 July
- formal and legal establishment of economic domination by imposing
W. German law;
treaty/contract between 2 German states (2 Oct. 1990); consummated
in all-German election