Book Essay Topics; Note taker
- 5 suggested books: Jenkins, Penny, Townsend, Cioc, McNeely
- $100 for photocopies of your notes. See me after class if you're interested.
- How did the "balance of power" along the political spectrum shift
in the 1820s and 1830s?
Political Spectrum: Shifting Positions (see Kitchen
- radical ("Jacobin")
Cast of characters
- "Father of Gymnastics" Friedrich Ludwig Jahn (1778-1852)
- Lützow Free Corps (Feb. 1813; 1814-25th Regiment+Ulans): K.T.Körner,
- Carl Ludwig von Haller (1768-1854), The Restoration of Political
Economy (1816), 6 vols.
- Students: Hermann "Arminius" Riemann, Ludwig Rödiger, Hans Ferdinand
- August von Kotzebue (1761- March 23, 1819): Weimar, Jena, St.Petersburg,
"History of the German Empire from the Beginning to its Downfall"
- Heinrich Heine (1797-1856). 1821: "Where they burn books, they will,
in the end, burn human beings too." (reference to Spanish Inquisition's
burning of the Koran)
- 1817, Oct: Wartburg festival
- 1818: constitutions in Bavaria and Baden
- 1819, March: Kotzebue murdered by Sand
- 1819, Sept: Carlsbad Decrees.
- 1832: Hambach Festival (Schulze p. 126)
- List and briefly explain 3 events of the "pre-March" period between
the Hambach Festival and 1848. (Draw on the textbook and Schulze readings
for this week.)
Due with book proposal Friday.